Guadalajara’s IT sector has been undergoing real growth, but while demand has been increasing, local universities have not been able to keep up. One of the key reasons for this, according to Ijalti, is that Mexican and U.S. IT companies have been recruiting people from Guadalajara, externalizing the talent.

Ijalti is one of the key agencies pushing the development of Mexico’s IT sector (along with Mexico IT, of course). The agency’s main strategic objectives are to spur the global competitiveness of Jalisco’s IT cluster, influence decision making in the digital society of the state, and to foster and facilitate the adoption, use, and exploitation of IT within productive sectors of the regional economy.

In order to better understand the aforementioned talent supply and demand issue, Ijalti conducted a survey with the most important IT multinationals and SMEs operating in Guadalajara. In it, they questioned project managers, technical leaders, operations managers, business analysts, and project leaders from 32 companies, 15 of which were Mexican and 17 foreign. Here are the results:

  • Of the 20,000 estimated human resources in the regional IT sector, approximately 53% of those responded to Ijalti’s survey, 63% of which were from IT-related jobs, while the remaining 37% were from administrative, non-IT related positions.
  • According to respondents, retention, attraction and the development of hard skills are the three most important factors in human resources, with 87%, 77%, and 58% voting for these priorities, respectively. The weighted average percentage of annual personnel turnover was only 9%, with the maximum hitting 35%.
  • Not surprisingly, companies grew their head count between 2015 and 2016, up 34% in total. Staff hires in corporate applications and services represented the highest growth, with 71%. Behind that segment was infrastructure services at 52% and application development at 29%.
  • In terms of language skills, 85% of staff in surveyed companies have either advanced (48%) or intermediate (37%) levels of English.
  • The top three available profiles for IT talent in 2015 were Java at number one, .NET Framework at number two, and UX/UI designers at number three. The same top two applied for the top ten most wanted IT profiles this year, but UX/UI did not even appear on the list, surprisingly.
  • When questioned about which platforms or coding languages programmers used, 43% of them said “others”, even after selecting Java, .NET, C.C++, Android, IOS and others, so there must be some real untapped skills out there that companies are not yet aware that they need.

Ijalti was formed by a steering committee as a non-profit organization and is supported by such entities as Tecnológico de Monterrey, Canieti, CCIJ, Intel, HP, IBM, iTexico, Ijaldem and the Mexican Secretary of Innovation, Science & Technology. It is expected that the company’s 2016 survey findings will be released later in the year.